Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book Review: The Thorn, by Beverly Lewis

The Thorn (The Rose Trilogy, Book 1)

The Thorn, by Beverly Lewis is book #1 in the Rose Trilogy and it's promising to be a great trilogy!  Welcome to the Amish community of Lancaster county.  You will be hooked as soon as you meet Rose Kauffman and her rebellious friend, as well as her older sister, Hen who has problems all her own!

Beverly Lewis does not disappoint as she weaves her newest tale with a few edgy and unexpected characters this book leaves you wanting more...how soon will book #2 be out?!  There were a few predictable parts to the story line, but I didn't feel that they distracted from the story one bit, and they may have predictable simply because I have read so many Amish stories.  What I liked about The Thorn was that the characters truly show their personalities, the Amish community is one that we hear about,  and read stories about, but how well do we truly know them?  Rose, Hen and the Bishop's son all show us that everyone has troubles, and the Amish truly do have problems like the rest of us, they may be more simple, more Godly than the rest of us, but that doesn't keep trouble at bay.

The end of this book left me hanging and I will rush to read book #2...I have to find out what happens in Hen's marriage, does her husband soften, what becomes of the Bishop's son?  There are several very interesting characters in this story that grab you and find their way into your heart, I recommend this book, and what I like is that adults can read it and pass it along to their friends OR their teenagers.  What a fun read to share with your daughter!

*Many thanks to Bethany House for providing me with a complimentary ARC of this book for review, my thoughts are solely my own.

Now, if you'd like to purchase this book.....which is on sale TODAY, you can click right here and a copy will be at your door before you know it!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments, thanks for stopping by!